DAZN launches sports betting portal in Germany
DAZN is best known as a streaming service for exclusive sporting events. Recently, the British group expanded its business to include sports betting. The DAZN BET platform is now open to German customers.
For many who regularly follow the German Bundesliga or other sporting competitions, the fact that sport and sports betting are becoming increasingly intertwined is becoming clearer by the week. This development is also a recurring theme in our coverage: for example, Sky football commentator Wolff-Christoph Fuss was recently discussed as betway's new brand ambassador.
Personalities from the world of sport such as Wolff Fuss have long and frequently entered into partnerships with bookmakers - it is common practice. The expansion of the sports streaming service with the yellow and black logo, on the other hand, is much rarer (the prime example being Sky Bet, which is not available in Germany): Since August 2022, DAZN has been operating a sports betting portal in cooperation with the gaming company Pragmatic Group. The provision and organisation of the digital infrastructure and the operational business are primarily in the hands of Pragmatic.
Initially, DAZN BET was only available in the UK and Spain. In August this year, the portal was whitelisted and shortly after went live for German customers with a dedicated .de domain.
DAZN BET is a typical sports betting platform with a few extras
One of the first questions sports bettors ask about a new platform is of course: What does the operator have to offer? From a marketing point of view alone, DAZN BET scores with a big or popular name among sports fans. This alone will certainly bring a lot of people to the site, but in the end it is not enough to convince punters (in the long term).
First of all, DAZN BET is a sportsbook with a fairly standard look and feel and familiar (betting) features: On the left are the sports, in the middle are the competitions and matches, and on the right is the betting slip. So far, so good.
There are plenty of football bets and all the sports you can bet on are on offer. As the bookmaker is licensed in Germany, some sports and special bets that do not (or not fully) comply with German regulations are missing, such as MMA or TV betting. In other countries such options are definitely part of the portfolio. The free bet bonus of €100 is very decent with a wagering requirement of 1x. The odds level is also impressive, especially for the top events, with a key of around 95 per cent.
All in all, the line-up so far is pretty good, but not exceptional. However, there are definitely some subtleties that set DAZN BET apart from other online bookmakers.
- Firstly, there is the current promise to take over the betting tax: the provider will pay the tax itself on Bundesliga match days. Of course, you could argue that good bookmakers should pay the tax themselves anyway. However, DAZN BET goes one step further by actually setting the margin to zero on these days.
- Furthermore, punters with a DAZN streaming account can secure a free bet of €25. In order to activate the free bet, the accounts need to be linked. This link will also allow you to claim free bets and other special goodies every month.
- There is another special feature in the DAZN BET interface: You can use the "On DAZN" filter to highlight matches that are broadcast on the streaming service. This is of course of particular interest to live bettors with a DAZN subscription.
Pragmatic is the driving force behind DAZN BET
Gibraltar-based Pragmatic Group is the technology company that oversees the operations of DAZN BET and provides the underlying platform and content. The company is also responsible for the further development of the product. DAZN itself seems to function primarily as a brand provider.
A separate portal has been developed for the German market, which is fully compliant with the strict regulations of the German State Gambling Authority (GGL). In addition to a wide range of sports betting, DAZN BET offers all the usual features for safe gambling. These include in particular technologies for the detection of gambling problems and self-regulation tools.
Ashley Lang, CEO of Pragmatic, said: "We are proud to continue breaking new ground in the iGaming landscape with such an innovative brand as DAZN and are excited to be part of DAZN BET's already remarkable journey. It will be a pleasure for us to continue to grow this unparalleled offering for gamers and sports fans".
This is what DAZN and Pragmatic have to say about the new sports betting offering
As usual, the partners have issued a press release in connection with the new sports betting platform for Germany:
- Gabriel Vollmann, Managing Director of DAZN BET in the German-speaking region, highlights the good cooperation with the German authorities:"DAZN BET is an offer to DAZN users and other sports betting enthusiasts who want to immerse themselves in a new kind of sports experience. Our close cooperation with the German authorities reflects our commitment to creating a safe and secure proposition in a regulated market where player enjoyment should be at the heart of everything we do".
- Ashley Young, CEO of Pragmatic Group, was excited by the opportunity to create a special connection between sports experiences and sports betting through DAZN BET as the platform launched in the UK:"Working with DAZN is a great honour for us. It's clear to us that fans want more involvement in the action on the pitch and interactive experiences - through this partnership we can deliver just that".
Image source: Screenshot von https://www.daznbet.de/de